Lord Kensington originally commissioned the residential square in 1811. The use of the square remains as residential, offering both refuge from and connections to the west of London. The disconnected forms of the existing building can be defined by two halves: the original structure and a later day extension.
A central sculptural stair is to link the two halves of the building - new and old. The spaces will be annotated by key pieces of joinery. A feature wall is to visually links the ground floor of the building, leading the eye from entry off the square, through the structure and out into the private garden beyond.
Formal functions take place within the old half of the building with historic details preserved and set against both contrasting and complimentary contemporary joinery. The joinery is multifunctional, integrating audio and visual technology, heating and fulfilling the family’s every day storage requirements. The composition is defined by modules informed by the existing rooms and their details.